Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Power of our Example!!!

One of my favorite scriptures is in Helaman 5:6-7.

"Behold, my sons, I desire that ye should remember to keep the commandments of God; and I would that ye should declare unto the people these words. Behold, I have given unto you the names of our first aparents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were bgood. "
"Therefore, my sons, I would that ye should do that which is good, that it may be said of you, and also written, even as it has been said and written of them."

 In this chpater and particualy these verses Alma is talking to his son's Nephi and Lehi. Alma is telling them that he named them after Nephi and Lehi who left Jerusalem and came to the America's. He tells them that the reason he gave them those names is so that they would remember their forefathers and their works and how people spoke highly of them and loved them. He then tells them that he hopes that they will do the same and so that when people remember them they will remember their good works and the good people they were. That is the same for us. When people hear our names, what is the first thing that comes to their minds? Our examples are more powerful than we think. My mom started to learn about the gospel, because of the example of her friend. She has never forgotten that friend, and when she hears that friends name a smile comes to her face. How will people remember us? My prayer is that our example to others is a ray of light, and that people want to be around us. May we always be good examples, and may we live in a way that when people hear our name and start to talk about us they too will have a smile on their face.

No comments:

Post a Comment